Welcome to Room 202
Please check if your child needs to replenish their school supplies!
You may reach S.Finley by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone, 773 534-2395, or by note in your student’s assignment notebook. I am available for conference Monday-Thursday before or after school. Please contact me ahead of time.
- Describe how the Grand Canyon was carved out by erosion caused by the Colorado River.
- Describe how erosion by water, wind, and sand continues to shape the Grand Canyon.
- Explain that the Grand Canyon is a magnificent landform that provides beauty and adventure.
- Explain why the Grand Canon has been made a national park.
- Genre: Historical Fiction
- Comprehension Skill: Author’s Purpose
- Grammar: Articles and Adjectives
- Spelling: Multisyllabic words
- How the Great Lakes were formed
- How the Great Lakes are connected to the Atlantic Ocean
- Defintion of waterway, canal, lock, and barge
- Why the flow of the Chicago River was changed
- The advantages of shipping by river.
- Genre: Realistic Fiction
- Skill: Plot
- Vocabulary Strategy: Context Clues
- Grammar; Contraction/Negatives
- Spelling: Prefixes, “un, dis, in”
- Story: Marven of the Great North Woods
- Genre: Biography
- Skill: Fact and Opinion
- Grammar: Singular Possessive Nouns
- Spelling: Consonant Pairs, ng, nk, ph, wh
- Identify and describe major landforms in the Southeast
- Explain how barrier islands are formed
- Compare and contrast landform elevations in the Southeast
Social Studies: Group 3 none. Groups 1 & 2 complete the puzzle map/summary pamphlet
Social Studies: Chapter 10, Lesson 1 The Southwest
A Land of Canyons
Story: Sailing Home
Social Studies: None
Reading: Re-read “Sailing Home” for the test. Study for the spelling test.
Social Studies: Workbook page 70. Study for lesson 1 quiz
Reading: Spelling sentences that were assigned on Monday are due Thursday, write the spelling words 3 times each and put them in alphabetical order. spelling worksheet pages 81 & 82, Workbook pages 206, 209, & 210
Social Studies: The Southwest map, include the list that is written in your composition notebook.
Reading: Write a sentence for each spelling word. Underline the adjective and circle the article. Complete the Grammar worksheet pages 81 & 82. Workbook pages 204 and 205.
Social Studies: Groups 1, & 2 Preview page 300, answer the Review questions on pages 301. 303 and 304. Copy the Summarize the Lesson from page 304. Group 3 Preview page 300 and copy the Summarize the Lesson from page 304.
Social Studies Skills
Unit 4, Chapter 8, Lesson 1 : The Midwest: Water and Land
Students will learn:
Story: Encyclopedia Brown
Reading:You should know your costume and your part by Thursday. Dress rehearsal in rooms 204 & 206 on Friday!
Social Studies: None
Reading: Start figuring out your play costume. How will you represent your part? Next Friday we will have a dress rehersal for rooms 204 and 206.
Social Studies: Groups 1 & 2 study for chapter 8 Lesson 1 quiz. Group 3 no homework.
Reading: Study your play part. You will be graded on Friday.
Social Studies: Groups 1 & 2 Midwest Map. Label the states and their capitals, the 4 Great Lakes, Mississippi River, Illinois Waterway, St Larwence Seaway, show the Plains and Great Lakes states, include a key. Trim and glue in your notebook. Put a title on the map. Group 3 no homework.
Social Studies: Groups 1 & 2 study notes. Group 3 complete workbook page 54. Preview page 232
Reading: Make sure workbook pages 194 and 198 are done from yesterday’s homework. Grammar and spelling worksheets pages 77. Learn your play part. 30 minutes of Compass Learning.
Social Studies: Groups 1 & 2 complete the lesson Preview and Summarize the lesson pages 232 and 237. Group 3 none.
Reading: Workbook pages 194 & 198. 30 minutes on Compass Learning at least 3 times this week
Reading and Language Arts
Social Studies: Chapter 6, The Southeast Region
Lesson 1: The Land
Reading: Finishing reading chapter 4 of the Mixed Up Files…., answer the 4 questions. Book report puppets are due, Spell-down is Monday.
Social Studies: None
Reading: Chapter 2 questions “Mixed up Files…”, Grammar worksheet pages 33 & 34, Study for reading and spelling test.
Social Studies: Groups 1 & 2 Elevation map of the Southeast. Group 3 Southeast map. All groups study for Chapter 6, lesson 1 quiz.
Social Studies: Groups 1 & 2 workbook pages 39 & 40. Groups 3 none
Reading: Read chapter 2 of “From the Mixed-up Files…” and answer the 3 questions
Reading: Spelling worksheet pages 33 & 34. Read chapter 1 “From the Mixed-up Files…” and answer the 5 questions.
Social Studies: Group 3 complete the preview and Summarize the lesson pages 166 & 169. Groups 1 & 2 no homework.
Reading: Workbook pages 87 & 88
Social Studies: Group 3 no homework. Groups 1 & 2 Preview page 166, Summarize the Lesson page 169. Answer the Review questions from pages 167 and 169. Answer the Lesson Review questions # 1-5 bottom of page 169.